The Importance of a Mother's
Health: Baby Needs You
A Mother's Health is a very important consideration in the big picture of newborn baby care. The long journey of pregnancy, giving birth and becoming a mother is very demanding and takes a lot out of a woman. It is important that you remember to monitor your own health for your baby's sake.
- Your newborn baby relies on you primarily, even if you have other help. You are irreplaceble.
- If you plan to breastfeed you can only take medication that was allowed during pregnancy (except if you have doctor's orders to do otherwise)
- The first weeks of motherhood takes a lot out of you, but it makes a huge difference if you have a plan of action to support your own health
- Having baby blues is quite normal but postpartum depression is serious and should not be ignored
- The quality of your breastmilk also depends on your diet, so make sure you have enough nutritious meals and stay hydrated
Clueless Mom's Tips:
- It's no fun if you end up sick in hospital while trying to care for your newborn baby, so be sure to take your own health seriously
- You can't predict what your health will be like after giving birth, so be prepared in case you are in more pain than you expected. If you feel OK, that's a bonus!
- Breast health is very important for you to breastfeed successfully and this has a direct influence on your baby's health
- You may not feel hungry or have time to eat but you need to make sure you get regular proper meals and plenty of fluids
From Mother's Health back to Action Plan Step 1
Newborn Baby Home Page